Friday, October 22, 2010

Birthday on Table mountain...done that:)

I really am a lucky bastard. I got the chance to join some truly amazing youngsters on an overnight hike to table mountain. What a birthday present:) The fact that the hike was guided bothered me at first but after a while it turned out to be the best thing ever. Errol the guide explained us everything about the mountain, its flora, rock formations, history. Did you know that there was a railway on top of the mountain that was used to transport materials for the constructions of the dams. Apparently some 200 people lived the top of this mountain in early 19 hundreds. 



Table mountain revealed it self in all its glory. The first day we had an amazing weather, not  even a smallest  breeze, amazing sunshine all day long. But over the night things changed dramatically. In the emprning we woke up to the sounds of wind blowing like mad and hauling around our hut. The look out of the window didn't reveal much since th.. we were in the clouds, the ones i usuallz admire from the bottom. hiking in these conditions waseven more fun. th egood trhing was we had a guide. otherwise it wouldn't be half as fun I reckon.


It was a special day and not only because it was my birthday:) The youngsters from bridging year program are great people, full of life, ideas and ambitions...and man, can some of them cook. Those who know me know that with me love goes through my stomach:)The fiest that we had up on that mountain was just ridiculous. When I close my eyes and reflect on my first birthday in Africa I forget all about the fact that I'm a year older:) A year older but richer for one truly uniqe experience. Thanks guys. Enkosi!

No comments:

Post a Comment